Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Go Phillies!


I flew out of Philadelphia International airport today, only a few hours before the Phillies won the World Series and the place went berserk. I lived in Philadelphia in 1980 when the Phillies last won the Series, and late that night so long ago, a group of friends walked downtown to witness the Championship frenzy, including a bunch of happy anarchists who overturned the big truck delivering newspapers, creating an improvised ticker-tape parade of newsprint flying through the brisk October air. In honor of that night, and in preparation for this one, before I flew out today I went out with my brother to turn over some police cars and throw beer bottles into groups of unsuspecting pedestrians. Whoo!! Go Phillies! Mike Schmidt! Larry Bowa! Steve Carlton! Ryan Howard! Brad Lidge! Johnny Callison! Cookie Rojas! Okay, I don't think those last two guys won a series, but they were Phillies, so go them!!!

Love from Wilson World,
Tom 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, never heard you talk about your brother. Give us the scoop ... what's his name, what does he do, where does he live? etc. etc.

Tom Wilson said...

My brother's name is Clive and he works with animals. He lives in a small hut made of soda cans near the New Jersey Turnpike.

Thank you for understanding.

Bill Lublin said...

Tom; Callison and Rojas were part of the '64 Phillies who choked and tore my young heart out - But I always liked saying "Cookie Rojas"
Saw your comment about Sam Ariff - He was my wife Sheila's cousin - and she and I knew you and Judy & Mike & Steve & Libby way back when. She passed away suddenly just a few weeks before Sam - so you're right - keep on taking those vitamins and stay healthy - I remember when you left for CA just before Judy & Meyers & Young went, and Sheila and I always got a kick out of seeing you perform and knowing you were doing well. Now I can enjoy the Blog too :-)